Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Grammar, an intimidating word

Editing. It cannot be too complicated, right? I hope it will not be impossible. These thoughts were running through my head during the first day of class. Honestly, I have been anxious about this particular class for most of my college career. Perhaps, I know my downfalls.

Let’s rewind back to the great years of junior high. I spent many hours sitting in an uncomfortable desk, with disgusting gum stuck under the desktop, while my teacher diagrammed sentences on the dusty chalkboard. How was diagramming sentences going to help me in the future? I could not imagine needing to know the eight parts of grammar ever again. Instead of listening, I found other things to entertain me during class most of the time. Now, I realize I should have paid closer attention. Mrs. Danner, my English teacher was not so crazy after all.

I spent my next several years writing papers without much thought about subject and pronoun agreement, dangling and misplaced modifiers, and passive voice. I wrote my papers to meet the subject and length requirement, but there was no real “grammar” requirement.

To further my problem of using improper grammar, I began texting and emailing extensively when college began. As our book, When Words Collide, says, this relaxes the English language even more. I abbreviate my words so badly in text messages that my grandmother would have no idea what I am saying if she read one.

With Journalism 420 and my future career, I need to change my game. I already find myself “combing articles with a fine toothed comb” to find errors. I have also noticed a more professional tone with emails because I use complete sentences. However, I still have vast improvements to make.

To summarize what I am saying, I will need to apply rule number 10 in Chapter 2 of When Words Collide. I need to apply the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair. It’s true; I have many bad habits with grammar. I acknowledge I am no grammar genius, but with practice I can improve. With practice the word “grammar” will not be so intimidating.

No comments:

Post a Comment