Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Senioritis Is Here!

Senioritis has kicked in and I’m tired of classes. As I count down to graduation, I find myself wondering if these complicated classes are really necessary. For example, in Journalism 425, I’m constantly complaining about the endless homework assignments. They take hours to complete. Why do I need to learn about Adobe Illustrator or PhotoShop? Is my time being wasted here at school? Will I really ever use this?

Finally two weeks ago, my question was answered at work. I work at the National Soybean Research Lab, where I complete miscellaneous jobs like write press releases, answer phones, conduct research, and even stuff soy cookies into bags. The worst task is stuffing cookies. I’m bored within a minute of beginning the task, and they day goes by so sllloooowwwww.

As I was stuffing my 600th cookie for the day a few weeks ago, the communications director came to me and asked, “Do you know how to use Adobe Illustrator?” Of course, I just completed an assignment a few days ago for J425. She asked if I would create a banner for the marathon in Adobe Illustrator.

Finally, I was no longer a “keebler elf” stuffing cookies.

Fast forward two weeks.

Now that the people in the office know I can work with InDesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop and so forth, they are giving me fun assignments instead of the mind numbing task of stuffing cookies. My hours go by so quickly and the work is much more rewarding. I have a finished project instead of hundreds of cookies laying in a pile.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that classes do have a point, even when I’m a senior counting down the days until graduation.(There are 31 days left, if anyone wants to know.) I have found that information I learned in classes do have a point. It saves me from stuffing cookies all day! No, seriously, I hope that all college students even those with senioritis realize that taking classes are useful and will help in the long run. It makes the daunting homework assignments seem a little more purposeful when senioritis has set in.

3 comments:

  1. I feel you! Now there are 2 weeks and 4 days left until graduation and I have been grappling with the same thing: Do I work hard in these classes that don't always seem to be applicable to my life or can I just coast because, well, I'm still going to graduate! And who looks at your grades, anyway!

    But yeah, you also never know when a situation will arise where you can use what you've learned. And it took me 4 years to really appreciate all the knowledge I've gained. It feels good to have been given this opportunity that not everyone gets. Best of all we have gotten to grow and learn about the world around us, and ourselves, which will make us more effective members of society, of our families, you name it! Knowledge is power! And I believe it's even more powerful when we use it the right way ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh senioritis. I have done my best to keep myself from succumbing to it too much, but it was really hard.

    I am also glad that I have learned how to use the Adobe programs. During J 425 I wanted nothing to do with it because of all those assignments, but now I am really, really happy that I am proficient with those programs. Hell, sometimes they are just fun to play around with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The graphics class will be my last J class next semester. I'm pretty excited for it despite the horror stories that surround it.

    ReplyDelete