Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Why did you choose that major?

This past week, I spent some time visiting relatives in the hospital. During our conversations to pass the time, my college education came up. They asked things like do I enjoy my classes, when is graduation, and what is my area of study. I told them that I’m an agriculture communications major with a concentration in news/editorial. You should have seen their faces. To me it looked like Denny, a great uncle, was in shock. He asked, “Why did you decide to go that route?” I’ve been watching the news and all the newspapers are going under, he said.

Well, he is right in one regard. Lately, newspaper businesses are struggling. As journalism majors, we have heard of the dreadful news. Here are two examples.

Rocky Mountain News
Chicago Sun-Times

While driving home, my uncle’s face of shock still worried me. Why do I believe in agriculture journalism still? Am I pursuing the wrong career? He is right, the business is struggling and jobs are nearly nonexistent. However, journalism is still alive.

For me, I think journalism will always be alive, but it needs to find a remedy quickly. Journalism is important. We all know the profession keeps our government more honest and our citizens up to date and informed. That’s the reason for my still believing in journalism, more specifically agriculture journalism.

So if it’s so important, than why is it on the decline? Too often I think writers want to show off their skills and not give readers what they want. Readers want pictures, fun topics and easy things to read not narratives. Everyone is busy and do not make time to read countless blocks of text. In my opinion, the newspaper industry needs to give readers what they want. Once this happens, we will not keep reading newspaper company obituaries. (And jobs will be available for journalism graduates.)

Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment